Welcome to Halloween 2013! A group of CVs and partnering community members have gathered to bring you a Halloween haunted murder mystery. We have worked extremely hard on it, and we hope you will enjoy it.
The contest will start tomorrow, 11 October 2013, and will run until 1 November at 11:59 PM Pacific time.
The role of the detectives
We will post introductory information that tells you what happened and what we would like you to do. Essentially, your job is to solve the murder in the castle. You will talk to several people along the path to figure out who the murderer was. Along the way, we have small tasks and puzzles for you to complete. At the end, we will ask you to tell us who the murderer was and what the circumstances were behind the murder.
When we reveal who the first person is, you will go to his/her profile page, find the hidden link to a Sta.sh document, and read the document to learn the character's story and what he/she wants you to do. When you have finished the task, note the character with your results. Be polite so you don't lose your head.
The character will then give you a clue and two names (you get to choose who to talk to next). Pick one to start with. You will have to find a link on his or her page that goes to a Sta.sh document for them, and then you will do their task.
1. Final answers [murderer(s)' name(s)] must be turned in via note to Halloween-HQ no later than November 1st at 11:59 PM PT. When you turn in the name, you should give us the character who did it and also tell us what the story was behind the murder (motive, if you have it, or anything else that helps explain what went on). Points will be given for accuracy.
2. Points will be given for being one of the first 3 finishers and deducted for being one of the last 3 finishers. This addition/deduction will not be sufficient to win/lose the game alone. (Points are awarded for finishing early, accuracy of murder suspect guess, and some of the tasks and puzzles you will face along the journey.)
3. You must follow the trail. Don't try to skip ahead, for the story unfolds in a certain order. While you will probably have to backtrack a bit at some point, try to remain on a steady path.
4. Do NOT leave comments in any character's Sta.sh journal. This will ruin the game for other participants, and you will be disqualified. If you are given a Muro task to complete, please complete it in your own sta.sh document and note the link to the character who requested it.
5. Work by yourself.
6. Keep track of the stock images you find along the way. We will have an OPTIONAL art competition after this detection part of the contest closes.
For the mystery-solving part of the competition, the prizes are as follows:
First place: 3,000 points plus $30 print
Second place: 2,000 points plus $20 print
Keep on the lookout for the kickoff blog tomorrow in Halloween-HQ!