Just letting you know that there is a new Community Volunteer for Community Projects: me.
Before anyone panics or rejoices too much, let me quickly add that I am not leaving the photomanipulation galleries. I will be handling both galleries for the time being.
What is a Community Project?
Glad you asked! A community project is a project or contest that is designed by community members (as opposed to being an official dA project or contest) to promote a positive, supportive environment here on deviantART. Community projects build community spirit and help all of us grow as artists and as individuals. They have specific goals and often span many galleries and media to bring people together.
Some examples that I am aware of include:
- Arts-and-Health - A project that serves as a platform for people who live with illness to tell their stories of challenges and triumphs through creating art with a message
- GimmeFeedback - A project that started as an alpha group designed to help members get more in-depth and useful feedback on their art
- FeedbackFrenzy - A group that uses a contest platform to encourage artists from all across dA to give each other feedback on their work
A community project does not need to be a group, and every group is not a community project. It is more about the aim, mission, and activities of the people hosting it.
I know there's more good stuff going on out there! I'll be doing some searching in the coming days and weeks, but if you are running a community project, it would be great if you could let me know so we can get a central repository going.
What can you do as our Community Projects CV?
I have a couple of magical tools at my disposal:
- I can give Daily Deviations (DDs) to exceptional work from your project if it is submitted to the Community Projects folder. (Note: I cannot give a DD to any active contest piece or deviantWEAR item.)
- I can help with promotion of your project and, if it is a contest, I can help you explore some options for prizing.
- I can help you brainstorm about your project to see the best way to put it into action.
- I can hook you up with your very own gallery folder for your project so anyone can submit to it.
What do we need?
Here is my immediate to-do list:
- namenotrequired has been wonderful about setting me up with some lists and organizational blogs for projects that are going on around dA. I need to find out whether they are still active.
- I'm debating on starting an "unofficial official" group for Community Projects. I realize that there is an older one, but I am not sure what the status of that is.
- YOU! I need those of you who have participated in, or who WANT to participate in, community projects to give me a shout and let me know you're still there.
I am currently serving as the Community Projects CV as well as the Photomanipulation CV. If you are running or want to run a project in any community on dA, please come talk to me so I can help support you and promote you.