What is this?
Today is deviantART's 13th birthday, and you are invited to the party! There are festivities happening all around dA, and you can find a list of them HERE. Be sure to check out the Chats and Forums, especially #CommunityRelations, for fun things happening all day long!
I have a special challenge for all you photomanipulators out there! How many times have you looked back at an old piece of art and said, "Wow, I so want to remake that!" Well, guess what . . . this is your chance do do so, and you could win PRIZES!!
What do I do?
Select one of your older (i.e. at least 2 months old) photomanipulations. Yes, it must be a photomanipulation! Your task is to remake that manipulation and give it a new life. You should think about not just recreating the exact same image all over again, but rather recreating it so that it is new, fresh, and a bit different. This is your chance to try new techniques and styles.
What are the rules?
- Please link us to the old deviation and write that you're submitting to the Rebirthday contest in your artist's comments.
- You cannot just rebuild the manipulation by going back to an unmerged psd file and editing the layers. You have to start from scratch. EXCEPTION: If you already have the stock cut out, it's okay to still use that.
- You must change at least one thing about the image to make it new and fresh. For example, if your work was fantasy-themed, perhaps you could make it dark or surreal. If Snow White was biting an apple, perhaps she is now taking a bite out of a sphere painted like the earth. If your model was sitting on the back of a car before, maybe now she is on a dragon. You get the idea. It can be big or small, but something must be different.
- Your new deviation should be clearly related to the old one-- just fresher and, well, better. So, please use most (around 75% or more) of the same stock as you used in the original one. If you don't have the stock anymore, either re-download it or find something else that is really very similar. You CAN add new elements to it.
- No bad stock. Stock must be legitimate, and you must credit your stock providers. All of them!
- Do your own work and use your creativity. Having others tell you what to do will only spoil the fun. This is your opportunity to recreate YOUR vision in a new light.
- Your work is due to the Rebirthday Folder at CRPhotomanipulation no later than 11:59 PM Pacific Time on Tuesday, August 13, 2013.
We have some fabulous prizes, thanks to Moonbeam13 in Community Relations! The prizes are:
- First place: One YEAR premium membership OR a print of your choice of up to $30 in value
- Second place: A print of your choice up to $20 in value
- Third place: A print of your choice up to $10 in value
Finally . . .
We need judges! Who doesn't have time to play but maybe wants to help peripherally? Let me know via note!
And please help us spread the word about this awesome mini-contest. Thanks!!
Ready? Set? GO! You have one week!!
GIF images from tumblr.com; dA birthday header and CSS by Thiefoworld